History of Baseball in Battle Creek
The history of organized baseball in Battle Creek traces all the way back to the 1800's. Among the local teams owned by local factories and plants, many leagues and local organizations have called the “Cereal City” their home. In 1895 the Battle Creek Adventists were the first recorded baseball team to play at Bailey Park. Since then, the 80-acre park has hosted teams such as the Battle Creek Crickets, Battle Creek Custers, Battle Creek Belles, and even was the home of the Stan Musial World Series before the rejuvenation of baseball in Battle Creek during the 1990’s.
In 1990 Cooper Orthniel “C.O.” Brown Stadium was constructed to host the Amateur Baseball Congress National Championship. Named after the first president of the American Amateur Baseball Congress, the stadium was constructed mainly of steel and concrete with a covered grandstand and tall steel girders. The new structure was built to have an “old-school’ feel with mostly bleacher seating which was far different from any other baseball stadium constructed during that time. Since its construction, C.O. Brown Stadium has hosted the MHSAA Baseball State Championships, NCAA Division III Baseball Tournament, and the 1993 and 1994 Big Ten Conference Baseball Tournaments. Battle Creek gained even more ground in the world of baseball in 1995 when the Michigan Battle Cats began the wave of minor league teams that came to the city such as the Battle Creek Yankees and the Southwest Michigan Rays. Presently, C.O. Brown Stadium is the home of the Kellogg Community College Bruins and the Battle Creek Battle Jacks of the Northwoods League.
On March 31st, 2022, the Battle Creek Battle Jacks announced the new name of their home field to be MCCU Field when the naming rights were sold to long-time community partner Marshall Community Credit Union. Along with this announcement came field renovations, the adding of new “Premium Bleacher” seating to the Grandstand area, and much needed renovations to the Bud Light Dog House which is the party deck located in left field. The Bud Light Dog House still holds the record for Michigan’s Largest outdoor sports bar and comfortably seats 300 fans on game nights.